Our Adoption

Friday, April 06, 2007

Our story so far...

Robin and I have been trying to conceive for some time now. A couple of years ago we started looking into adoptions, having exhausted ourselves with fertility tests and treatments that were always a let down. We have jokingly said we are now Outsourcing the process.

Last year a close friend mentioned that the Pearl S. Buck International (PSBI) Welcome House is not far from where we live. Robin had talked to the same operation Angelina Jolie dealt with and was not impressed. She felt they were mostly in the money making business.
We later found out that PSBI was having an art auction/dinner to raise funds for scholarships in China and decided to attend. We were very impressed with the operation. We bought some art done by the students, and will be hanging it sometime soon.

Robin went to their website and learned more about the operation and added our names to the email newsletter mailing list.

I may get corrected on the date, but I believe last January she saw a little girl in the news letter. Her name is Hien and hopefully I can add the picture once I get a better hang of the blog process.

Robin asked me if I agreed we should ask for more info, and I did. She sent a letter to PSBI. They replied promptly that her file was being looked at right now by other prospects. We were learning the process, and were bummed that we could not learn more then.

We have been trying to conceive still even after deciding to pursue an adoption. Last February we were very hopeful, but just before the end of the month we were disappointed again.
It does not hurt as much as it did the first many times we were hit a hurdle and we had our 15th anniversary on the 28th (technically it should be the 29th, but we don't have one of those this year) so we planned to go out to dinner and have a good time.

That day, on our anniversary, Robin got an email that the other family decided not to adopt Hien. She checked with me and I said great, let's look at her file!

Wow! Her file had so many health problems that she has had to deal with. But the photos did not show someone who had been brought down at all by so much to overcome.
Actually, she glows and has a beautiful smile!!! I believe we were immediately smitten.

But her list of health problems seemed like so much for someone so tiny to have dealt with...

In the next chapter, what is a "deal breaker?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home